Re: AES draft query

I agree that this is a marketing and education problem. I've used a lot of IPSec
clients and browsers. In most all cases, the advertised strength has been based
on the symmetric cipher. When setting a symmetric strength, the appropriate
corresponding PK strength should be highlighted so that the users can at least
make an informed decision and not unnecessarily burden their equipment as EKR
points out. It is not easy for users to understand that something symmetric =
double that value when using ecc = something completely different when using DH
or RSA.

This doesn't change the fact, however, that it does not make sense to deploy a
stronger symmetric algorithm than a public-key one and that if one is
incorporating 256-bit symmetric into a protocol or product, one should
incorporate that corresponding public-key strengths. cheers - john

Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org> on 18.03.2000 07:50:38