RE: AES draft query

> A user who is smart enough to answer that question correctly is smart
> enough to know that increasing the size of one key at a
> different rate than
> the other key is not going to get a balanced increase in security.
>
> Of course, it is the rare IPsec user who understands this
> concept, and most
> go by "I hear 128 is enough" and, unfortunately, "I hear 256
> is better than
> 128 and my security gateway still seems to run fast so I'll
> use 256". This
> can be countered with education, to the somewhat limited extent that
> education about security has been successful.

Hi Paul,

There seems to be an implicit assumption here that users will be tweaking
the format of the SA proposals themselves and that they will decide between
128 bit AES and 256 bit AES.

I don't think this is realistic. In 90% of the cases, the users will use
whatever set of transforms we include as a pre-configured part of the
product (caveat emptor).

In the other 10% of the cases, the users had better understand what they are
doing before they frig with the crypto setup. In other words, they should
get outside advice from a knowledgeable security consultant.

Of course, there will be users who base their decisions on magazine reviews,
which can be misleading. Maybe the VPNC can help out here, by educating the
reviewers and ensuring that they do their performance comparisons using an
appropriate set of transforms.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.