RE: Heartbeats draft available

Hi Ricky,

Yet again, the complexity argument rears its ugly head. If you've been
following the previous discussion on this topic, I hope you understand why I
do not believe that measuring complexity is as simple as merely counting the
number of bits (or payloads or messages) on the wire.

Sending more messages can often help to eliminate uncertainty. In fact, one
of the best ways to reduce complexity is to tell the peer exactly what you
are going to do before you do it. I can give you lots of examples where the
lack of negotiation has made interoperability difficult. Take rekeying for
example. Other examples are available upon request.

Anyway, I really don't think it matters whether we do heartbeats in phase 1
or phase 2. That wasn't a requirement of my protocol. On the other hand,
providing a negotiation protocol was a definite requirement.

The negotiation protocol was specifically designed to be simple. Currently,
the negotiation protocol defines two options and one parameter. The syntax
of the negotiation is clear and there is no interaction between the fields.

The draft also explicitly spells out which peer has the final decision
regarding each field. The information is agreed on with minimal complexity
because there is no ambiguity.

BTW, I do not believe this feature is large enough to warrant a separate
requirements draft. However, if you want a list of requirements, read
sections 3 and 4 of the draft.

Also, if you want to see a list of features/services which may not
interoperate with your non-negotiated heartbeats proposal, I will prepare
one in time for Adelaide.

Andrew
 Beauty without truth is insubstantial.
 Truth without beauty is unbearable.