Re[2]: IKE Public Key Encryption

Hello Andrew,

anc> As a general comment on including the hash of the certificate/public key in
anc> the message, this doesn't really provide true identity protection, since an
anc> attacker could generate the same hash.

To accomplish this the attacker would have to hash all possible
certificates and or public keys that he thinks are relative. BUT - you
have a good point, nonetheless.

anc> Wouldn't it be better to use a hash of the certificate plus some session
anc> info (e.g. the cookies), which would at least protect against identity
anc> tracking attacks.

I would actually like to see the verbiage modified slightly to hash
the public 'value' used (certificate or key) and always provide that to the
responder. Therefore, if your going to hash it, you should include an
identifier. As far as using a cookie, wouldn't that be available to
the attacker as well? Unfortunately, I cannot think of a better idea
right now....it can't be Ne or ID in standard mode, or Ne, ID, or KE in
revised mode.
So, the point of including an identifier to protect the hash to avoid
an attacker producing the same, may simply be moot. To fully protect
the identity, you have to use something only known by the peers, which
is usually encrypted for transit, or generated independently, such as
g^xy, (but that wouldn't work for revised mode).

Basically, you have a good point, but I don't know a good direction.
Nonetheless, I do think the inclusion of the public value in the
initiators message should be included - for scalability.

-jim

anc> Andrew
anc> Beauty with out truth is insubstantial.
anc> Truth without beauty is unbearable.