Re: Heartbeats draft available

Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:

<trimmed...>

> Negotiation is not a requirement of IPsec heartbeats; it is a requirement of
> good protocol design. If there are options, or if there is any possibility
> of needing options in the future, there should be negotiation.

So, I guess you would say that tcp, udp, smtp, ftp, ip, and many other
currently deployed non-negotiating protocols are poorly designed, right?
I think many would argue that simplicity, as in "only that which is
necessary and sufficient for meeting the intended purpose" is a truer
measure of goodness with respect to protocol design.

Scott

Follow-Ups: References: