RE: Heartbeats draft (fwd)

some thoughts on Heartbeats:

SPI lists: I feel that this approach to maintain synchonization between
the SADs of two peers is not going to scale well. It's going to be very
expensive to send the SPI list, and also check the SAD against the SPI
list, as the number of SAs increase. I feel that implementing acknowledged
Notifys is a much more simple and clean solution to the SA synchronization
problem.

Problem being solved: The major problem that is being solved here is
knowing exactly when the peer went down. If we don't have heartbeats, when
a peer goes down, we will continue to send encrypted traffic to the peer,
and even if the peer comes back up, it is silently going to drop all the
encrypted traffic (no SA). First of all, what is the probability that this
situation happens? Can we say reasonably corner case. Second of all even
when this happens we can change the peers behaviour to 'intellegently'
start negotiating the SA with us, with the Initial Contact. I say
'intellegently' in the sense to avoid DOS attacks (but, I guess this is
not a major DOS attack risk).

IMHO, heartbeats would be more useful if we had a list of multiple peers
which support the same trafic flow (redundancy/failover), but I guess this
is getting into too much of implementation detail. It can be left to the
implementations to provide this kind of redundancy. I guess there is no
real customer requirement that IPSec implementations of different vendors
should provide redundancy/failover across vendor implementations.

Regarding the below discussion: One justification for not using a time
stamp with the SPI list given is that the time may not be synchronized
between the different peers. I feel that expecting IPSec peers to be able
to maintain accurate time is a basic requirement for validating
Certificates, and using PKI.

chinna narasimha reddy pellacuru
s/w engineer