RE: Heartbeats draft (fwd)

This is only the list of SPIs from on peer to the other - I don't see any
great need for this to grow dramatically.  Even if it is large, the protocol
allows for a portion of the list to be transmitted each time.  In this way
the processing effort can be maintained at a constant level at the expense
of a longer verification period.

The point about the heartbeat protocol is that it is relatively resistent to
DOS attacks.  This is particularly true if the heartbeat traffic is
indistinguishable from regular traffic.  In this case it can't be
selectively deleted and limits the possibility of holding back traffic.  In
any case if an attacker can delete and insert datagrams at will then there
are plenty of attacks he can make.

Where the heartbeat protocol is stronger is that it can't be provoked into
generating traffic or renegotiating SAs by spoofed traffic.  If one peer has
gone down then the 'cheap' basis for authentication has gone.  This means
that spoofed traffic can force either one end to generate an expensive
signature or the other end to renegotiate SAs, depending on whether
authentication is used or not.

Chris