Re: Heartbeats draft available

    Andrew> I agree. *IF* the WG is willing to designate certain SAs as
    Andrew> "management only" SAs and they can be clearly identified as such,
    Andrew> so that an implementation can apply one set of traffic-processing

  This is the most logical implementation in my opinion.

    >> Intermittent services like ISDN present special problems.  The last
    >> thing a user will want is for the heartbeat protocol to keep the ISDN
    >> link up perpetually!  I don't know whether people will want to address
    >> these issues.  My thoughts are that the protocol should be capable of
    >> being able to be suspended or 'slept' to suspend or back off the
    >> keep-alives during periods when the line would be otherwise idle.

    Andrew> Yes, this is true. In fact, we purposely left hooks in the draft
    Andrew> (see future considerations 1 & 2) for this scenario. The reason I
    Andrew> did not include a proposal on how to solve this case is that I am
    Andrew> not yet sure what the best solution is. I have heard a few

  On possibility is, as a user configuration option, the heartbeat packets
could be DS-marked with a code point which didn't bring up the link. How a
failure here is distinguished from a failure in another part of the network
(you can't use ICMP here, they can be forged) raises a simple question:
   - what's the use of heartbeats on a link that you don't want to keep alive

  If the line is not "otherwise idle", then there is traffic on the line, and
so the SAs will be maintained.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows faster<tm>
 Personal: http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca	mailto:mcr@solidum.com

Follow-Ups: References: