IPSec and the AES

Hi-

I would like to remind the IPSec community of the upcoming end to the
Advanced Encryption Standard Round 2 comment period.  Public comments are
due by May 15, 2000, and NIST would certainly be very interested in your
community's opinions regarding the five AES finalists, MARS, RC6, Rijndael,
Serpent, and Twofish.

After May 15, NIST will be reviewing all of the comments and analysis
received to-date on the finalists, and then we will make our selection for
the draft AES standard.  So, the end is quickly approaching, and this is
the last opportunity that people will have to help us determine what the
AES will be.

Official public comments should be sent to <AESRound2@nist.gov>. Any
comments that you might care to provide will be appreciated.

Here are some helpful links:

Some suggested topics for public comments are listed in our call for Round
2 comments (Sept. 1999):
<http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round2/aes_9909.htm#sec3>

Papers submitted to the Third AES Candidate Conference (April 13-14, 2000):
<http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round2/conf3/aes3papers.html>

Round 2 public comments received to-date:
<http://csrc.nist.gov/encryption/aes/round2/pubcmnts.htm>

The Candidate AES Cipher Algorithms and Their Use with IPSec:
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-cbc-00.txt>

AES Home Page:
<http://www.nist.gov/aes>

Thanks for your time & consideration.

Gratefully,
Jim
NIST AES team

Jim Foti
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
100 Bureau Drive, Mail Stop 8930
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-8930
USA

TEL: (301) 975-5237