Query : CA related

Hello

I have a query regarding the Certification Authority (CA) in IKE. RFC 2409
mentions about the inclusion of certificate payloads, which needs to be
verified by the CA, but does not mention as to how the information is
conveyed to the CA for verification.

Is it that the Peer obtains the certificate and performs the verification ?
(or)
Does it send the complete payload to CA for verification ?

I would like to know whether any draft or RFC exists, which mentions about
how the CA performs the verification of the certificates?

Also, whether any encryption needs to be performed to send the information
to the CA (since security is a major issue) ?

I would also like to know whether any implementation exists for the same.

Regards
Ruheena Rashid.

Ruheena Rashid
Software Engineer