RE: Windows 2000 and Cicsco router interoperability

What does this mean for secure remote access?

The 'standard' IPSEC approach is to use an ESP tunnel to connect the client
to a security GW on the edge of the corporate network.

If tunnel mode isn't supported in the client then this isn't possible, as
transport mode will only get you to the GW.

Unless...  Windows is relying on a transport mode ESP with L2TP tunneling to
provide the secure pipe(?).  Wouldn't this cause interoperability issues
between Win2k professional and third party IPSEC security gateways?

Chris