RE: Win2000 IKE and 3des

Hi,

>Are both of you saying that if you set your policy for 3-DES ONLY (not >3-DES prefered but 3-DES only) that Windows 2000 will negotiate DES >anyway?

Yes, that seems to be the case.  I have only checked that if I configure
3des, it will send des as an initiator, and a phase 1 SA with des will
be formed (if the remote end accepts des).  Haven't checked if it works
this way as a responder; probably will.

>Or are you saying that Windows 2000 will fall back from 3-DES to DES if >your configured policy lets it do so and the peer doesn't support >3-DES?

No.  This would be the correct way to function, and there would not be
an issue if this were the case.

>The former is a bug which I've not seen in Windows 2000.  The latter is
>expected behavior since you configured it to do so.

My point exactly.  The latter behavior would be the one I would prefer
to see, of course.

--
Sami Vaarala (sami.vaarala@netseal.com)
NetSeal Technologies