Re: Windows 2000 and Cicsco router interoperability

Those goals may be able to be "achieved naturally" by use of L2TP/IPsec,
but the issue to get back to Stephen's point is that there is a lot of
overhead involved in doing that when the same thing can be accomplished
much more simply (and I hope we all learned that simplicity is job #1 here
after reading Bruce's paper) by just using IPsec correctly mixed the
appropriate client side personal firewall and routing as you point out.

The latest version of our VPN client PGP 7.0 announced this week
implements both of those solutions (centrally managed client side
firewalling and the ability to direct all traffic to the secure gateway)
along with mode-config to accomplish these goals without any of the
overhead involved in trying to merge a complex protocol (L2TP) with
another complex protocol (IKE/IPsec).  I can only imagine (and cringe at)
the logistics involved in doing a security code review of both of those
together.

--
Will Price, Director of Engineering
PGP Security, Inc.