Re: Wired query on Windows 2000 and DES/3DES

At 08:05 PM 5/15/00 -0400, "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com> wrote:
>	Heinlein once wrote that there are two ways of lying artfully.
>One is to tell the truth, you just don't tell all of it.  The other is
>to tell the truth, but you tell it so badly that nobody believes you.

There's also "the BIG lie", which I first read in Ian Fleming.
One so bold and obviously false on it's face that it must be true.
Otherwise, who would think they could get away with it?

"Our users are asking for this."   Who knows.  Maybe these are the
same users who demand that fresh out-of-the-box unstoppable
virus proliferation feature.

That said, MS is certainly not the only vendor to take a cynical attitude
towards naive users.  But they seem to be the boldest in openly stating
this philosophy.

-- dpj