Re: generate certificate in Win2K

"Scott G. Kelly" wrote:

> Qiu Ying wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > How to generate a pair of keys and certificates in Window 2000 for IKE?
> >
> > Thanks?
>
> Questions like this should be directed to microsoft technical support,
> rather than to an ietf working group mailing list.

True. However, due to the way it is done, it might be of interest
to readers of this mailing list too. If it isn't, I apologize.

Basically you will need Internet Explorer, and you will need to browse
to the Win2000 Certificate Services web page. You then edit a web form and submit it.
(I didn't try any CEP thingies, neither did I have a Windows domain.)

I found it odd that
1) If you browse to the same certificate services page with Netscape Communicator,
   the page to create certificates is non-accessible. (Netscape running in
   another machine in my case.)
2) If you want to use a 3rd party CA via a web page, you will still need
   both the Internet Explorer and the Win2000 Certificate Services installed.
   That's because the only way to get a cert request to a file is via
   the CertSrv web page.
3) I'm not quite sure whether the server side or the client side of this
   web connection actually creates the keys. Anybody know?

Ari

--
Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 859 900
Senior Software Engineer       fax  : +358 9 8599 0452

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security