RE: Windows 2000 and Cicsco router interoperability

  Jan,
>On Tue, 16 May 2000, Stephen Kent wrote:
>  > The "features that AAA provides?"  AAA is a WG but there are no AAA
>  > standards yet. In fact, the WG drafts so far focusing only on
>  > requirements for the protocols that will be standardized, in the
>  > future. So  a reference to what "AAA provides"  or to "customers who
>  > are so fond of their AAA infrastructure" appears to be in the future,
>  > optimistic tense.
>  >
>That's patently false, I fear. What chinna is referring to is the interaction
>(well defined) of Radius Authentication, Authorization and accounting
>(generally referred to as AAA) and PPP (and I expect you knew all that).

No, I did not infer that from Cinna's message.  If that was the
intent, it was a very inarticulate way to communicate that notion.

>That the AAA group is back to the drawing board is not the issue. The
>"customers who are so fond of their AAA infrastructure" obviously refers to
>the radius infrastructure. While chinna could have been more precise, I
>always equate them in my mind as well.
>
>I can tell you from personal experience that people want to shoehorn
>EVERYTHING into radius. They'll want this here as well (I've already gotten
>multiple requests about this). I guarantee it'll happen (or your money back).

I don't doubt that, but that does not make it the right thing to do.
Marketing folks should say yes to everything a customer asks for;
engineers should put more thought into solutions, anticipating long
term implications.  NAT is representative of what one gets by
catering to customer's near term "needs."

Steve