Re: L2TP+IPsec and IKE authentication

My take is that it is important for the Corporation being accessed
whether or not the access device used is secure or not. A cybercafe
is not secure enough to access your corporate confidential secrets.
I also see certificates and smartcards being readily available in the near future.

The obvious result of this line of thinking is that you should be
able to use TWO CERTIFICATES per one IKE negotiation. Certificate A
is a user-certificate stored in a smartcard. Certificate B is a device
certificate stored on a device, and *not* on the smartcard.

Then based on the Corporation policy, either/both certificates A or B
would be demanded by the SGW. The effect of this is that the probability
of using an untrusted access device is less. This would not completely
prohibit it, because you can under proper conditions (depending
on the HW and stuff) steal either or both of the certificates and the private keys.

I see two ways to do this. You create a new IKE phase 1 mode that requires
two certificates by one side, maybe both sides (Yikes!?). Or you take the X-Auth draft
and put in there a possibility to use further certificate-based authentication.
I don't see how PPP/L2TP would be able to help in this scenario.

Ari

--
Ari Huttunen                   phone: +358 9 859 900
Senior Software Engineer       fax  : +358 9 8599 0452

F-Secure Corporation       http://www.F-Secure.com

F-Secure products: Integrated Solutions for Enterprise Security