RE: Reasons for AH & ESP

 >> [snip] Well, if you look at IPv4 only, it doesn't make sense,
 >> agreed.  AH's main feature is that is protects parts of the IP
 >> header. But in IPv4, there isn't anything interesting to protect.
 >> [snip]

 mouss> you are surpising me. Are yo trying to say that a host who
 mouss> signs his IPv4 header (thus his source address) using key that
 mouss> he negociated with mine, and that based on some external key
 mouss> negociation, which is not defined by AH but elsewhere, is the
 mouss> same as any spoofing host?

I don't really understand what you're saying.  In any case, ESP
provides authentication just as AH does.  There are slight
differences, but all important data is protected in both cases.

 mouss> I agree that AH relies on the security provided by the key
 mouss> negociation protocol. but then it's still good tohave AH while
 mouss> "controlling" and improving key ngociation. Fr example, AH is
 mouss> good if my negociatio daemon only accepts to talk to daemons
 mouss> having a certificate provided by some give authority. The why
 mouss> not use ESP here? ebecause I simply don't wanna pay the perf
 mouss> overhead when I don't need it.

What performance overhead?  The header/trailer overhead is the same in
both cases, and ESP in authentication-only mode has less CPU overhead
than AH because it is significantly simpler.

 mouss> Moreover, from a design viewpoint, separating authentication
 mouss> and confidentiality is a self-justified purpose.

Perhaps.  But not at the cost of a lot of complexity.  If AH were as
simple as ESP authentication mode, I would agree with you, but it
isn't -- not by a large margin.

      paul