From: EXT Stephane Beaulieu [mailto:stephane@cisco.com]
Sent: 02. June 2000 17:14
To: antonio.barrera@nokia.com; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Commit Bit

Hi Toni,

The commit bit is used because the initiator of QM has an IPsec SA set up
before the responder does.

The initiator has the IPsec SA set up as soon as he sends QM3, whereas the
responder doesn't have his IPsec SA set up until he processes QM3.

If the responder is a slow machine, or is overloaded, it could take a while
to process QM3, and therefore could take a while to set up the IPsec SA.

If the initiator sends an ESP packet to the responder right after sending
QM3, the responder may not be ready to process it (or it could arive out of
order).

So, the commit bit was introduced to give the responder a method of telling
the intiator "OK, my SA is set up now", so that no packets were dropped due
to the timing issues described above.

Stephane.