Re: Interoperability (was: Death to AH?)

 John> There is no order, but there is a well documented strength even
 John> between differnent crypto systems. If you accept Dan's approach
 John> to variable key-length ciphers, why wouldn't you accpet it for
 John> variable key length public-key algorithms?

I assume you meant that there is "a well documented ordering of
strength for the different systems".

If so, I would disagree.  Certainly people have voiced the opinion
that ECC with an x bit key is as strong as RSA with a y bit key.  But
others have voiced different opinions.

Similarly, you may be able to find opinions on the relative strength
of, say, IDEA, 3DES, and Blowfish, but I don't think you will find
consensus.

On the other hand, I would be surprised to see, for any reasonably
designed cipher, a result that security decreases when the key size
increases.  So it appears safe to say there is a partial order, i.e.,
for two ciphers that use the *same* system but different key length,
the one with the larger key has security >= that of the one with the
smaller key.  But I don't agree you can do anything analogous when the
ciphers are from different systems -- whether the systems are
symmetric or asymmetric.

	  paul

 Dan> And where in the scale do you add new groups or groups of
 Dan> different types-- elliptic curve vs. prime modulus?

 John> I think you have to leave that one out.  The reason is that,
 John> unlike all the other examples, there is no clear order among
 John> these.  That indeed is the problem with the group number: it
 John> only has a partial order.

 John> paul