Re: Deprecation of AH header from the IPSEC tool kit

Paul Koning writes:
 >  Michael> What keeps nagging at me is the overhead of both AH and ESP,
 >  Michael> not to mention the added complexity.
 >
 >  Michael> This might be water well under the bridge, but has the
 >  Michael> thought of having a mode to ESP which protects the outer
 >  Michael> headers?
 >
 > That's no help, because that is exactly the difference that makes AH
 > so much harder than ESP.  (Well, there's details like having the MAC
 > in the header rather than the trailer.  Then again, ESP puts the
 > NextHeader value in the wrong place, so they're even...)
 >
 > The reason I like ESP authentication is precisely the fact that it
 > doesn't contain all the hair needed to protect a subset of IP header
 > fields.

   Maybe you're misunderstanding me: if ESP had a
   bit which said "I'm protecting the outside
   headers too", it could be either signaled or
   potentially even done on an as-needed basis
   by the IPsec stack for IP headers which would
   otherwise require AH. I'm all for not
   protecting things that don't need protection
   otherwise.

		Mike

Follow-Ups: References: