RE: Deprecation of AH header from the IPSEC tool kit

Ok, time to stick my big nose in things.

There have been many claims that there is absolutely nothing worth
protecting with AH in the IP header.  Well while doing some deep thinking
about Security Policy a coworker and I came across a requirement for IPSO
(RFC1108) U.S. Department of Defense Security Options for the Internet
Protocol.  It seems that DOD networks would like to have a IP header option
that includes a tag that says how "classified" the packet is.  Now RFC 2401
mentions this header explicitly and infact allows IPsec to make security
determinations based on this field.

I think this is a great value for AH where I can authenticate the IP Header
options to verify that the RFC1108 header has not been changed, possibly
removing security levels from my packet.

Just a descenting opinion, I had never heard of 1108 myself.  I am still in
the Get Rid of AH camp myself (all though leaning farther out of that camp
this morning)

Bill

Bill Strahm        Programming today is a race between
bill.strahm@       software engineers striving to build
intel.com          bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
(503) 264-4632     and the Universe trying to produce
            	 bigger and better idiots.  So far, the
                   Universe is winning.--Rich Cook
I am not speaking for Intel.  And Intel rarely speaks for me

http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |For a better connected world,where data flows
faster<tm>
 Personal:
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/People/Michael_Richardson/Bio.html
	mailto:mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca	mailto:mcr@solidum.com