Re: INVALID SPI Notify

Hi Victor,

vvolpe@cisco.com wrote:

> > I just noticed that the Invalid SPI notify message in the notify draft is
> > intended to indicate an unacceptable SPI received during a Phase 2
> > negotiation.  Can Invalid SPI also be used when an IPsec packet is
> > received on an unknown SPI, assuming a Phase 1 SA is established to the
> > peer and the message can be encrypted.  If the answer is yes, what is the
> > format everyone is using?  If the answer is no, then has this changed
> > recently?
> >
> > Victor

Actually, I meant to propose this to the group a few weeks ago, as I am
planning on rev'ing the notify messages draft soon. We have two options:
either add another notify message for this, or expand the use of the
existing INVALID-SPI message. A few of us think that expanding the use
of the existing message is simplest, and could be accomplished by simply
setting the DOI to 0 (isakmp) when it's phase 1, and setting it to 1
(ipsec) when it's for phase 2.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Scott

Follow-Ups: References: