Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

Title: Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

I am not sure if this has been discussed before since I have not followed the IPSec mailing list for a while.

I understand from the Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation for ISAKMP [RFC2407] that the IP Compression (IPComp) transforms define optional compression algorithms that can be negotiated to provide for IP payload compression [RFC2393] and that compression algorithms must be published and in the public domain.  I also understand from RFC2394 that the DEFLATE compression algorithm is available publicly, and from RFC2395 that Hi/fn, Inc. holds patents on the LZS compression algorithm and that source and object licenses are available on a non-discriminatory basis.

However, if an IPSec implementation also intends to support IPComp, I could not find in any documents which compression algorithm must be implemented as a minimum in order to support interoperability.

Can someone please tell me which one of these two compression algorithms (i.e. DEFLATE [RFC2394] or LZS [RFC2395]) must be supported as a minimum for interoperability reason if implementing IPComp or if none has been mandated since IPComp interoperability was not a concerned?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Francois
Francois Rousseau
Director of Standards and Conformance