Re: Deprecation of AH header from the IPSEC tool kit

At 19:26 19/06/00 , Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking wrote:

>What's the threat solved by authenticating the source route header
>at intermediate points? What would be the problem if a packet
>showed up at the destination, not having traversed the route
>you wanted?

         There are a variety of specific attacks facilitated by forged or
improperly modified source routing headers.  I'm sure you can think
of several.

         I never ever provide cookbook information about specific threats
or attack mechanisms in public mailing lists or public meetings.
Some folks find this frustrating, but I have always and will always
operate this way.

Ran
rja@inet.org