From: FRousseau@chrysalis-its.com [mailto:FRousseau@chrysalis-its.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 2:34 PM
To: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com <mailto:ipsec@lists.tislabs.com>
Subject: Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

I am not sure if this has been discussed before since I have not followed
the IPSec mailing list for a while.

I understand from the Internet IP Security Domain of Interpretation for
ISAKMP [RFC2407] that the IP Compression (IPComp) transforms define optional
compression algorithms that can be negotiated to provide for IP payload
compression [RFC2393] and that compression algorithms must be published and
in the public domain.  I also understand from RFC2394 that the DEFLATE
compression algorithm is available publicly, and from RFC2395 that Hi/fn,
Inc. holds patents on the LZS compression algorithm and that source and
object licenses are available on a non-discriminatory basis.

However, if an IPSec implementation also intends to support IPComp, I could
not find in any documents which compression algorithm must be implemented as
a minimum in order to support interoperability.

Can someone please tell me which one of these two compression algorithms
(i.e. DEFLATE [RFC2394] or LZS [RFC2395]) must be supported as a minimum for
interoperability reason if implementing IPComp or if none has been mandated
since IPComp interoperability was not a concerned?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Francois
Francois Rousseau
Director of Standards and Conformance