Re: overcomplicated framework for multicast security without real value

Justin,

Your note seems more suitable for the SMuG (Secure Multicast Group) working
group of the IRTF, where multicast key management is discussed among
other multicast security issues. The draft you read is one of the early
drafts written by SMuG contributors; other work has been done since.

The list is a "closed" one; but anyone who wants to contribute is most
welcome to join. To do that, please write either myself or Thomas
Hardjono (hardjono@nortelnetworks.com).

Regarding your note, I agree with much of what you say. Indeed, there is
a need to find a good compromise between simplicity and immediate
applicability and some generality that would allow future extensions
without re-doing everything from scratch.  But I wanted to
point out one thing that you seem to have missed in that draft (at least
according to my understanding of it): the separation to "trunk region key"
and other keys is relevant only to the re-keying messages. All the data
is encrypted using one key that is common to all members. Thus,
end-to-end security of the data is maintained. (In some cases,
such as political barriers and some firewalls, one may be forced to
re-encrypt the data. But this should be avoided whenever possible.)

Best,

Ran Canetti