Re: default life negotiation issue

Jan,

I read my note again and I realize that it is a little confusing (I ask the
same question in two different ways).  Are you telling me that you assume
that an SA may just use lifesize to determine its duration?  If the
initiator only proposed a lifesize, the responder would NOT assume the
lifetime default was implicitly proposed?  (These two questions should have
the same answer.)

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 04:16:57PM -0700, Jan Vilhuber wrote:
> Hi Will!
>
> Yes, I believe your assumption below is correct. At least that's how I've
> always interpreted it.
>
> jan
>

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Will Fiveash wrote:
>
> > Can a SA be negotiated that only contains a lifesize (no lifetime in
> > seconds)?  I ask this because I got a little confused by this paragraph in
> > RFC2407 (DOI):
> >
> >     If unspecified, the default value shall be assumed to be 28800 seconds
> >     (8 hours).
> >
> > If a initiator only proposes a lifesize attribute of KBytes, do I assume
> > that they are also implicitly proposing the default lifetime value above?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Somewhat confused question whose answer should be
the opposite of the previous question.

--
Will Fiveash
IBM AIX System Development (IPsec/IKE)