RE: Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

Francois wrote:
>Based on the comments made on this thread, does someone know when
>the DOI [RFC2407] will be updated to make the current DEFLATE
>transform ID historical and add a new DEFLATE transform ID without
>the extra header and Alder checksums, which would be the official on?

Ain't gonna happen. That was actually my proposal, but the general reply
was "Why should the people who got it _right_ change their implementation
(switch to other ID), making the new version incompatible to their old
versions?
And BTW, learn how to read, especially RFCs."

Fair enough. The general suggestion in this case would be
"Will the programmers please fix their broken software".

>In addition, do someone also know when RFC2394 will be updated
>to clarify the use and non-use of the extra header and Alder checksums
with DEFLATE?

Well, it's not a draft, it's a RFC already. Changing it is not trivial.
Tero suggested the same, but I think it would be better to put that
information
into another place:

Into the zlib documentation!

J–rn