RE: Minimum IP Compression Algorithm for Interoperability

 > From: FRousseau@chrysalis-its.com
 > >Well, it's not a draft, it's a RFC already. Changing it is not trivial.
 > >Tero suggested the same, but I think it would be better to put that
 > >information
 > >into another place:
 > >
 > >Into the zlib documentation!
 >
 > However, although RFC2394 is an RFC, it is not yet on the standard track and
 > could be replaced by an updated version containing an Appendix clarifying
 > the non-use of the extra header and Adler checksum as suggested by others.

I agree completely.  Also I don't think the zlib documentation update
is sufficient for implementers who may pick up random/old versions of
zlib code/documentation.  Its 2394 that folks on this list and the
ippcp list have control over, not the zlib documentation.  If the zlib
documentation could also be updated to show clearly how to not
generate/require the header/checksum features that would be nice, but I
don't know who would do that or where it lives.

Its essential that 2394 be as clear as possible if only so that people
not on our mailing lists can judge interoperability problems correctly
between 2 future implementations, by carefully reading the spec.  The
current 2394 leads people to use zlib without any constraints or hints
on that usage, which encourages people to use it without understanding
the true protocol required.

   -- Marc --