Re: phase 2 and ports

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Scott G. Kelly wrote:
> Stephen Kent wrote:
> >
> > Jan is right.  We used to have port ranges and similar features for
> > SPD configuration in the I-D precursor to RFC 2401, but they were
> > deleted because IKE didn't support them and nobody wanted to change
> > the IKE spec.
> >
> > Note, that we have a WG on IP security policy and it is exploring
> > ways to offer real negotiation for IPsec peers, prior to IKE
> > exchanges.  That way one need not add complexity to IKE but one can
> > offer more sophisticated negotiation capabilities.
> >
> > Steve
>
> I agree that actual policy exchange might be better handled within ipsp,
> but I would really like to see ike support something more comprehensive
> than the current mechanism. If we wished to minimize complexity, this
> could consist in simply permitting multiple ID payloads,

Skip also suggested this to me. I rejected this, because I don't like the
implicit semantics of the two ID payloads to begin with. Having multiples of
two ID payloads just adds to the non-obvious nature of how ID payloads are
used in phase 2.

I'd much rather come up with a new payload. In my mind I dubbed it the
selector payload, but someone else mentioned Policy Payload, which I can also
live with.

jan

 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: