Re: Responder Pre-set-up hole (was RE: problems with draft-jenkins-ip sec-rekeying-06.txt)

  Tim,

  But that SA will not and cannot be used in the case of a replay attack.

  I'm not sure about whether you're being over-cautious or not but saying
that there is a Security Hole seems being not only over critical but wrong.
If the issue is a DoS attack in which the Responder can be induced into
doing exponentiations as a result of replayed packets then that should be
explicitly stated.

  I received 2 private emails over the last couple of days saying that the
Security Hole was that the Responder would accept traffic (also replayed)
on that SA. Statistics 101 tells me that there are probably even more
people who received that impression by reading the draft.

  Dan.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:48:19 EDT you wrote