Re: simplifying rekeying [draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-06.txt]

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:35:30 EDT you wrote
> We read the word "unique" as having its standard meaning and hence
> reach the stated conclusion.  You seem to read it as having some other
> unspecified meaning ("kind of rare"?) and hence essentially
> meaningless.  If you can read any word that vaguely, there is no
> standard.

Sigh. I'll appeal to authority then. Websters's Encyclopedic Unabridged
Dictionary of the English Language (the big fat one) says that unique
is "1. existing as the only one or as the sole example: single; solitary
in type or characeristics 2. unequaled; unparalleled; incomparable
3. impossible to duplicate within a stated or implied scope as a
geographical area or range of experience; unlikely to be matched;
extremely rare 4. limited in occurance to a given class, situation,
or area 5. limited to a simple outcome or result" are all given as
definitions for unique.

"existing as the sole example" seems appropriate. When the Quick Mode
terminates it does not exist any more. Therefore it seems perfectly
within the _standard definition_ of the word "unique" to re-use
message IDs as long as they are not used simultaneously.

"limited in occurance to a given class [or] situation" seems even
better. The class or situation is a Quick Mode. The uniqueness of
message IDs states that they are limited in their occurance to
a single Quick Mode.

So we too adhere to the standard definition and we therefore come
to the stated conclusion.

  Dan.

Follow-Ups: References: