RE: problems with draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-06.txt

Hugh,

I don't agree with your interpretation and I think you are missing the
point. The MUST NOT clause is not saying what you think it is saying,
"unique to" means "characteristic of", and, in the context of "randomly
generated", "unique" means "statistically unique" (i.e. collision
resistant).

However, I agree with Paul in this matter. Obviously, the RFC is
amphibologous enough to have confused you, so it should be amended to be
more clear.

Internet drafts are written in a mix of English and jargon; sometimes the
two languages overlap and it confuses people. Obviously, Dan knows what the
intent of the wording in the IKE RFC is; I don't see how you can argue with
that. Most of the rest of us figured it out as well.

BTW, imagine if we had to qualify "unique" as "statistically unique"
everywhere...

"Alice is probably the only one who can decrypt the message because only she
(or someone who randomly generated the same public key as she did) has the
private key."

"The hash proves that the message hasn't been tampered with (or at the very
least, that the original message was one of the very few 256 byte messages
that would have produced the same hash)."

"The responder must store all nonces that he ever generates. If he ever
happened to randomly generate a nonce that was used before then he could
fall victim to a replay attack."

Andrew
Beauty with out truth is insubstantial.
Truth without beauty is unbearable.