Re: problems with draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-06.txt

  Yes, technical merit should guide resolution but it helps to have
the problem laid out first. This whole thing started with your
proposal that was a "better approach to certain parts of the rekeying
problem" that draft-jenkins-ipsec-rekeying-06.txt addressed. That
draft addresses _lots_ of issues. What certain parts are you resolving?

  The responder pre-set-up problem, which is what you seem to be
focusing on, is solved by using a CONNECTED notify. There is no "security
hole" associated with this. There is only potential for a DoS attack.
Nowhere in your proposal does it even discuss a DoS attack. So what is
it you're solving? If the problem space has moved then let's take a
step back and redefine what it is we're discussing.

  Maybe an even more *superior* solution would be what David Faucher
proposed: just make the MID a monotonically increasing counter and
don't accept anything <= the currently authenticated MID. But this
requires agreeing on what the problem is that the solution proposes
to solve.

  Dan.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:36:03 EDT you wrote