Re: Heartbeats Straw Poll

At 9:31 PM -0400 8/3/00, Andrew Krywaniuk wrote:
>  >From my observation of which people put their hands up, it seems to me that
>most of those who voted 'yea' work for commercial VPN vendors, whereas most
>of those who voted 'nay' are academics or developers of free software.

Your observation disagreed with mine. I saw plenty of commercial VPN
vendors raise their hand for "no heartbeat specification from the WG"
(and, of course, plenty raising their hand in favor).

When the group was asked "how many people understand this proposal",
I saw lots of people who I would have hoped would have raised their
hands not doing so (and not voting in the next two questions,
thankfully). Sounds like we might want a *short*, concise statement
of the problem to the list before the straw poll is taken next. Maybe
start with a neutral description of the problem, followed by two
paragraphs in favor and two opposed.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Follow-Ups: References: