Re: Heartbeats Straw Poll

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, Ricky Charlet wrote:
> Paul Hoffman wrote:
> > When the group was asked "how many people understand this proposal",
> > I saw lots of people who I would have hoped would have raised their
> > hands not doing so (and not voting in the next two questions,
> > thankfully). Sounds like we might want a *short*, concise statement
> > of the problem to the list before the straw poll is taken next. Maybe
> > start with a neutral description of the problem, followed by two
> > paragraphs in favor and two opposed.
> >
> > --Paul Hoffman, Director
> > --VPN Consortium
>

> Howdy,
> 	I'll take a stab.
>
>  	Dead Peer Detection. (or some have called this same concept Black Hole
> Detection).
>
> 	There are several motives for wanting to be able to detect a dead peer.
> Among these are:
>  o implementing a redundancy strategy
>  o ipsra event auditing (required) and accounting (not required)

This seems to be best reason for a heartbeat protocol.

>  o general resourse/state recovery
>

> Argument in favor:
> ==================
> 	IPsec creates black holes. If an SA is built among peers SGW1 and
> SSGW2, and later one of those peers (SGW2) becomes unreachable, then
> protected traffic will be black holed from SGW1 into the (now defunct)
> SA with no ICMP unreachable messages being sent back to the sending
> hosts. At the very least, If SGW1 could learn that the SA became a black
> hole, then it would be able to send ICMP unreachables back to the
> sending hosts and the dead peer detection to do that MUST interoperate.

Agree. IMHO, error notification should be part of the base protocol (error
botification, combined with the a 'ping' like mechanism) should be the
way to detect dead peer detection. So for there has been no agreement on
secure dead-peer-detection - inventing a heartbeat protocol for this purpose
seems an overkill.

--
sankar ramamoorthi
email:	sankar@nexsi.com