Re: Heartbeats Straw Poll

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Michael Richardson wrote:

>   In my opinion, IPsec heartbeats should just be ICMP ping requests, and the
> fact that any traffic is received is the "response".

But remember that there are customers that want to bill based on traffic.
Having a heartbeat in the form of a ping through the SA artificially drives
up the packet/bytes counts. Now all of a sudden you have to put more logic in
to potentially not count these pings, but you probably do want to count pings
that the customer sends.

It's not QUITE as simple as merely sending pings...

jan
 --
Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

Follow-Ups: References: