Re: Heartbeats Straw Poll

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Jan Vilhuber wrote:
> I also don't remember seeing that all hosts MUST answer to icmp echo
> requests...

RFC 1122 (Host Requirements, part 1) says MUST for hosts.  RFC 1812
(Router Requirements) says MUST for routers too, although it may be
configurable (but must default to ON).

> This is not a good general purpose solution.

There is no requirement that we devise a solution which will work even
on arbitrarily defective implementations.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@spsystems.net