Re: Heartbeats Straw Poll

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> The idea here is that we need to simplify and fix IKE, and we can't do
> that if people want to keep wanting to add hacks to it.
>
> 						- Ted

I vote for this approach. If there is a problem in IKE we should try and
fix it, instead of hacking, or working around the base problems.

I guess, it would be important to list out what problems the proposed
keepalives are trying to solve. I feel that the problems that it is
trying to solve has come a full circle from helping to see if the server
is dead, to now saying that it helps to know when the client is dead, for
accounting and resource cleanup.

I would like to reiterate that from our experience with implementing and
deploying keepalives, they scale very poorly, and the performance hit is
not worth the benefits.

    chinna

chinna narasimha reddy pellacuru
s/w engineer