From: EXT Alain Jourez [mailto:Alain.Jourez@helios.iihe.ac.be]
Sent: 04. September 2000 19:02
To: antonio.barrera@nokia.com; ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Protocol specific and port specific SAs

Well, someone corrects me If I'm wrong (there are may be some new exchanges
defined in a draft of which I'm unaware) but you cannot have a shared SA
that
is based only on two protocols. From RFC 2407 (IPsec DOI) § 4.6.2 :

RFC2407>> Protocol ID (1 octet) Value specifying an associated IP protocol
ID
(e.g. UDP/TCP).
RFC2407>> A value of zero means that the protocol ID field should be
ignored.

I interpret that this way : If I want to specify that all protocols should
be
protected by this SA I put a zero into this field. A value here should mean
that only the protocol specified will be protected by this SA.

As a side effect I don't see a way to specify that an SA should protect two
or
more specific protocols (except for the case of protecting all protocols or
maybe manual keying). It could be possible to specify something like that
using
numerous ID payloads but as far as I know, there may only be one such pair
by
Quick Mode negotiation.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Alain.

--
                      Alain Jourez
          Service  Télématique et  Communication

Université Libre de Bruxelles   Tél. +32 (0) 2 650 57 04
Boulevard du Triomphe, CP 230   Fax  +32 (0) 2 629 38 16
B-1050 Bruxelles - Belgium      mailto:alain.jourez@helios.iihe.ac.be