Connecting IPSec tunnels

Suppose a customer has three sites with gateway routers, respectively
A, B, C. He rents two tunnels A-B and B-C so that traffic between A
hosts and B hosts and between B hosts and C hosts is protected. Now,
the customer decides to protect traffic between A hosts and C hosts.
Instead of incurring the expense of renting a separate tunnel A-C, the
customer tries to "connect" the two tunnels. This should be possible
by modifying access lists. For example, at B, forward traffic from C
hosts to A hosts along the A-B tunnel. Unfortunately, an initial
experiment has been unsuccessful. We are continuing our investigation
but in the meantime, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Sanjai Narain
Telcordia Technologies