RE: I-D ACTION:draft-lordello-ipsec-vpn-doi-00.txt

Ken,

Comments below...

There is no DOI version number but there is a DOI number. I believe you are
differentiating DOI version numbers from DOI numbers by implying that a
higher version automattically supports all extensions defined in lower
versions while that's not automatically assumed with DOI numbers. Well,
that's why the VPN DOI inherits the existing DOI: to be just like a version
2.

Regarding extending the existing IPsec DOI, there are many implementations
out there which are using the existing DOI and changing it would cause a
major impact and I don't think is feasible. A new DOI is OK because ISAKMP
dictates what to do with negotiations that request a DOI which you do not
support.

> I'm concerned because I can envision multiple DOIs derived from the IPsec
> DOI, all differing ever so slightly.  For example, this draft adds new ID
> types.  Another DOI might add a new security protocol (other than AH and
> ESP).  Now, what happens when an implementation wants to support both
> extensions?

Well, the application can negotiate some phase 2 SA's using the VPN DOI and
others phase 2 SA's with the NewProtocol DOI.

> Is it feasible to extend the IPsec DOI?  If ISAKMP is ever revisited, is
> there a possibility of adding a version field to the security association
> payload?

If ISAKMP is ever revisited...

> 					- Ken

Claudio