Re: Does ESP do Data Origin Authentication ...

Hey Dinesh,

     Data origin authentication happens as follows.
There is a derivitive of the master session key
created in Phase 1 of IKE negotiation,  I believe this
key is the skeyid_a.  The skeyid_a is the key used in
the HMAC version of the hash algorithm in IPSEC that
is combined with the initial message before it is put
through that hash algorithm.  Since there is an
identification of peers that happens before the master
sessin key is created, either through shared secret or
digital certs etc.. you must have authenticated
yourself before that key was generated. Therfore when
a sender hash is compared against recipient hash and
matches, you have authenticated your peer.  I think
this is how it works. If I am wrong someone please
chime in. Cheers :-)