Re: 128Bit Encryption

Mufti

The answer is Yes, to most countries with 128bit keys. I know of several that US companies cannot deal and the reasons:

US State Department won't let us "export" to:
        Cuba
        Serb-Bosnia
        Libya
        North Korea
        Algeria (I'm pretty sure)
        I've heard some know of a couple more countries, but I haven't been able to confirm each yet.

Outside Countries won't let us "import" into:
        France  -       They will allow up to 128bit Encryption in Products shipped into their country if that company has submitted a waiver, per product (per code revision number) and had that approved;
        China -         This is an excerpt from ( http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000127/tc/usa_encryption_1.html ):
“All foreign and Chinese companies or individuals using encryption technology, which protects electronic communication from eavesdropping, must register with the government. The registration is the first step in a move to force foreign companies to reveal their encryption secrets and possibly an outright ban on the sale of foreign encryption products in China.”

This list obviously changes often depending on who's happy with who this week vs. last week, so this might be a little bit short on 100% accurate.....

At 01:05 PM 9/13/2000 -0400, mufti ahmed wrote:
>Does anyone know if 128Bit Encryption is allowed outside teh US yet?
>Are there any issues that ISPs hace to face whether it is or not? And
>does anyone know where i can get info on this if it is allowed? - (Rules
>& Regulations if  any)?
>
>Thanks In Addvance
>
>Mufti Nayeem Ahmed
>Network Systems Engineer
>Market Data Networks
>Reuters America Inc
>(212-603-3595

>http://profiles.msn.com.

*************************************
"At the end of the day... the most committed win!"

James M. Polk
Consulting Engineer
Office of the CTO

Cisco Systems