Re: TOS copying considered harmful

>> First, copying TOS is a security leak:  it permits an eavesdropper to
>Not more so than keeping the same packet size (rounded up to a multiple
>of 8).  To the extent that someone wants to rely on the TOS field, they
>should be able to do so.  ANyone running a tunnel paranoid enough to
>be worried about potential TA based on the TOS field will also know enough
>to pad packets and blot out the TOS field.
>
>I say leave it alone.

	i think it makes more sense for tunnel ingress node to construct
	the TOS field value.  also, we should look at
	draft-ietf-ipsec-ecn-02.txt (what is the status of this one?
	it looks expired)

	are there any implementation which checks, on IPsec tunneled
	packet egress processing, if inner TOS value == outer TOS value?  I bet
	there's none, and it is impossible as outer TOS may be overwritten
	by diffserv/ECN-capable intermediate devices.
	so even if (1) we change the spec or (2) no spec change, but
	some implementation did non-conformant outer TOS initialization on
	ingress, noone will notice.

itojun