Re: TOS copying considered harmful

Stephen Kent wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Oh yeah, serious heresy!
>
> At the IP layer, IPsec is the only IETF standard,
> so until there is another standard, or even another
> WG chartered to develop such a standard, I can't
> see why it makes sense to put this info into 2003bis vs. 2401bis.

In 2003bis because:

	a. RFCs should anticipate the future, to some extent
	   i.e., not necessarily that there WILL be an alternate
	   to IPSEC, but that there CAN be

	b. 2003 is the RFC of note when the IP proto field is itself 4
	   (as mentioned before)

Again, tunneling is tunneling. Let's get it right and documented in one
place, and point to it and elaborate on it elsewhere.

Joe