Re: TOS copying considered harmful

>> Having two specifications for packets with protocol type 4 inside IP
>> should be avoided if at all possible.
>Now this I agree with.  Especially since the IPsec RFCs themselves seem to
>be very confused about this.

	for reference, here's a little list of specs which talks about
	protocol type 4/41 encapsulation.  not sure if it is complete.
	(from KAME sys/netinet/ip_encap.c)

itojun

/*
 * My grandfather said that there's a devil inside tunnelling technology...
 *
 * We have surprisingly many protocols that want packets with IP protocol
 * #4 or #41.  Here's a list of protocols that want protocol #41:
 *      RFC1933 configured tunnel
 *      RFC1933 automatic tunnel
 *      RFC2401 IPsec tunnel
 *      RFC2473 IPv6 generic packet tunnelling
 *      RFC2529 6over4 tunnel
 *      mobile-ip6 (uses RFC2473)
 *      6to4 tunnel
 * Here's a list of protocol that want protocol #4:
 *      RFC1853 IPv4-in-IPv4 tunnelling
 *      RFC2003 IPv4 encapsulation within IPv4
 *      RFC2344 reverse tunnelling for mobile-ip4
 *      RFC2401 IPsec tunnel
 * Well, what can I say.  They impose different en/decapsulation mechanism
 * from each other, so they need separate protocol handler.  The only one
 * we can easily determine by protocol # is IPsec, which always has
 * AH/ESP/IPComp header right after outer IP header.
 *
 * So, clearly good old protosw does not work for protocol #4 and #41.
 * The code will let you match protocol via src/dst address pair.
 */

Follow-Ups: References: