Re: TOS copying considered harmful

Stephen Kent wrote:

> Joe,
>
> As the author for 2401 (bis) I am not comfortable trying to
> coordinate with a revised 2003. It makes life much harder, creates
> more cross reference problems, etc.  We'll see how this progresses,
> but I'm not commiting to this strategy at this time.

How about at least referring to 2003 as much as possible,
and highlighting where the divergence is?

The goal is to get 2401bis to spec as little 'new' as possible here.
The only divergence is in the treatment of the TOS and DF fields.

In that case, 2401bis should indicate that:

	- it uses 2003 tunnel headers
	- it needs to allow clearing the TOS or DF bits, if
	  indicated in an SA, however this conflicts with
	  the specification in 2003

The only coordination here is that 2003bis should indicate that clearing
the TOS and/or DF bits MAY occur, and what the consequences are. I don't
see a tight coupling required.

Joe

Follow-Ups: References: