From: Scott Fanning [mailto:sfanning@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 10:49 AM
To: 'IPsec List'
Subject: CERT_REQ_PAYLOAD usage

Well, I thought I would start a thread on one issue that came up at the VPN Workshop, and that is the usage of the CERT_REQ_PAYLOAD or CRP.

RFC 2408 states

   The Certificate Request Payload provides a means to request
   certificates via ISAKMP and can appear in any message.  Certificate
   Request payloads SHOULD be included in an exchange whenever an
   appropriate directory service (e.g.  Secure DNS [DNSSEC]) is not
   available to distribute certificates.

and

  If multiple certificates are required,
   then multiple Certificate Request payloads SHOULD be transmitted.

The behaviour I saw was one of the following.

1) Initiator sends CRP per cert required, and responder replies with the appropriate certificates.

2) Initiator sends 1 CRP, and the responder sends all certs.

3) Initiator does not send CRP, but wants all certs because RSA was negotiated.

I am sure there are others. I would like to recommend that option 1 is the best option, and the simplest. This has caused many interop issues, and the vague wording does not help. I would like to tighten up the rules if possible.

Comments?

Regards
Scott Fanning